Bug Poop To Tomato Mint: The Top 10 Most Bizarre Teas From Around The World

Bug Poop To Tomato Mint: Top 10 Bizarre Teas From Around The World

As far as beverage goes, Tea is beloved by nations across the globe. The Chinese love black and oolong teas while the Japanese prefer matcha and green tea. Britishers have proclaimed their love for black tea infusions such as Earl Grey whereas Indians give preference to chai. But in the world of tea lovers, there are some bizarre teas found around the world –

1. Panda Dung Tea

panda dung tea


Yup, you read it right. Panda Dung tea is actually one of the most expensive teas around the globe. It is priced at $3,500 for 50 grams of tea. (Crazy expensive!) So, why is it so expensive and bizarre?

To make this tea, the farmers use panda’s dung as a fertilizer for the growth of tea plants. Pandas only absorb 30 per cent of the nutrients from whatever they eat. So that means that the remaining 70 per cent is going into the fertilizer that is used in the makings of this tea.

2. Fermented Yak Butter Tea



It may sound like a weird combination but it’s actually a popular drink. This creamy beverage is made by mixing regular tea with yak butter and salt. It can take up to half a day to prepare this tea and it’s famous in the Himalayan regions of Nepal, Bhutan, India, and Tibet.

3. Salvia Tea

salvia tea-bizarre teas


Made from salvia herb, this tea is an integral part of Mexican culture and rituals. Salvia herb is from the mint family & often used for its hallucinogenic effects

Mazatec shamans, native to Sierra Mazateca in the state of Oaxaca, consume this drink to induce visions during rituals.

4. Pu-Erh Tea

Pu-Erh_Tea - bizarre teas


This is a type of fermented tea traditional to China. It’s made from the leaves of a tree known as the “wild old tree. Unlike kombucha, Pu-erh tea is made from the leaves that are fermented and compressed into a cake type structure.

This tea is believed to have medicinal value.

5. Psilocybin Mushroom Tea

magic mushroom tea


These aren’t your normal mushrooms. Psilocybin mushrooms are powerful psychedelics and classified as illegal in many parts of the country. So, unless, you want to get high on mushrooms, stay clear from this tea.

6. Bug Poop Tea

bugapoop-worm-poo-bizarre teas

Thailand Unique

Yes, this tea is actually made of bug poop! Unlike the Panda dung one, this tea is made from the feces of grain moth larvae that are fed on nothing else but special, organic tea leaves. This one sure tops the bizarre teas list.

7. Garlic Tea



Do you love garlic so much that you simply can’t get enough of it? Or want to scare vampires? Whatever may be the reasons, you can use garlic and consume it like tea. And what’s more, it’s has a lot of health benefits too!

8. Tomato Mint Tea

tomato mint tea - bizarre tea

 Apartment Therapy

Just like the name suggests, this tea is a “bright Mediterranean infusion” of tomato, mint and black tea. Its taste has been described as rather like drinking a bowl of soup.

9. Maple Tea



This tea is for those who love the taste of maple. If you want to drink maple as a beverage then this is it. It is a black tea that has a strong maple taste to it, so much so that it does not require more sugar to make it sweet.

10. Blue Tea



What makes this tea odd to many people is the blue color that you get when you brew these leaves. It is made from dried butterfly pea flowers that are found in Thailand. The taste is flowery, so, most people add a dash of lemon, which many says turns the tea purple.

If you liked this bizarre teas article then read: 20 Strange Etiquette Tips You Must Know Before Visiting These Countries